Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I love strippers!

I am not talking about the ladies or gentlemen of the night!!  I mean paint stripper!
Oh Chris Farley, you were a funny man!


Mr. TSL (who teaches wood shop and welding) brought me a stripper to use on some of my projects.

Tools for stripping-
a pole and stilettos-just kidding!!

gloves-these are super important because this shiz burns your skin!!  
a crappy cheap paint brush
a dish to pour the stripper in-this must be glass (I'll show you what happens in plastic in a minute.)
something for the item to sit on if it's little (I used a Braum's bag)
I bought these lamps solely for the large wooden finial base that they had.
They are huge and the lamp shades were GINORMOUS!!  I wanted to paint them white like these from Pottery Barn, but Mr. TSL said "your not going to paint these white too are you?"  So, I quickly said no...even though I totally had planned on painting them white- Buzz Killington!

I first primed them and painted them a green color-didn't like them.  They need to be lighter for where I want them.  Then Mr. TSL found silver spray paint in his garage cabinet.  Silver is lighter, but still not white.  Yippy.  I painted them silver-another shot and a miss....

I am going to paint them white---sorry Mr. TSL!
But I wanted the wood to show through!  Enter Zip Strip  Paint Stripper!

I put my gloves on and put it in a plastic cup- remember above I said don't use plastic.  This is why-

That cup did look like this before
It only took about 3 minutes and the cup was dead!!  It almost immediately started to eat the cup!  This crap means business!

Once you brush it on and wait the 10 minutes it looks like this:




Awesome!!  The paint comes right off!

I learned however to work in smaller sections because it dries out fast when it;s a billion degrees out!  I also found out that the "it will burn your skin" comment from Mr. TSL was in fact the gospel truth--it freaking stings!!

The finials aren't quite done yet, but this is a post about strippers not the finials!

gonna try to fix my hot mess linky page sometime this week!!

-Make your life beautiful!!


The Girl Creative, The DIY Showoff, Skip To My Lou, Thrifty Decor Chick, C.R.A.F.T., Sew Can Do, Tip Junkie, Today's Creative Blog, Not Just A Housewife, A Bowl Full of Lemons, Funky Polkadot Giraffe, Extreme Personal Measures, Blue Cricket Design, Someday Crafts, Sew Much Ado, Domestically Speaking, Handy Man, Crafty Woman, Organize Your Stuff Now, House of Hepworths, Somewhat Simple, The Shabby Chic Cottage, Beyond The Picket Fence, Seven Thirty Three, Just a Girl, Beneath My Heart, Paisley Passions, Brandy's Crafts, Finding Fabulous, Fingerprints on the Fridge, Miss Mustard Seed, My Repurposed Life, Whipperberry, Funky Junk Interiors, I Heart Nap Time, Under the Table and Dreaming, A Design Story

Skip to my Lou






Tuesdays:

Adiamond in the Stuff
Coastal Charm

Weekly Parties I Crash

Monday
  craftThe Graphics FairySumo Sweet Stuff Boogieboard CottageBecolorful Making  
Tuesday
PhotobucketStrictly Homemade Tuesday My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia Anything Related LINKPARTYBUTTON
 

Wednesday
a beach cottageDragonfly Designs Creations by KaraThe Trendy Treehouse
NightOwlCraftingShow and Tell Green  

Thursday
giveawaysMy Repurposed LifeTransformation Thursday A Little Knick KnackBeyond The Picket FenceHouseofHepworths
It's a KeeperSuzy's Artsy Craftsy Sitcom  

Friday
Furniture Feature FridaysmonogramBubbly Nature Lovely Crafty HomeTidy Mom I'm Lovin It Fridays Chic on a Shoestring DecoratingCraft GoodiesPhotobucketTickled Pink at 504 Main Designer GardenStuff and Nonsense  
BLOG TITLE






Saturday
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

Sunday
UndertheTableandDreaming The DIY Show Off

3 comments:

  1. I did the same thing 35 years ago!
    Dropping by from Met Monday. Hope you'll come see DD2's nursery.

    Allison
    Atticmag

    ReplyDelete
  2. that SNL skit was SO, so funny. Thanks for linking it up to our Wicked awesome wed link party.

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments! Thank you for stopping by :)